Last week I made this scrumptious Portuguese recipe of Caramelized Almond Cake. Before I make my comments I'm going to get it translated from the website of saborintenso with the deepl.com program. So here it is:
Caramelized Almond Pie
Ingredients for 14 people:
For the Base:
150g salted butter at room temperature
175g unleavened flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons milk
For the Topping
125g salted butter
4 tablespoons milk
150g crushed almond kernels
1 32 cm diameter tart pan with a removable bottom, greased with butter, lined with a circle of baking paper and greased again with butter
1. Start by making the base.
In a bowl, place the butter cut into pieces and the sugar.
Beat until it becomes a cream.
While whisking, add the broken eggs one by one to the cream.
Whip until it becomes a homogeneous cream.
2. After the cream is beaten, add the yeast and 1/3 of the sifted flour.
Mix everything together with a spoon and add the remaining sifted flour.
On the last addition of flour, add the milk.
Mix very well until it becomes a homogeneous mass.
3. Spread the mixture on the bottom of the tart pan.
Place in a preheated oven at 170°C and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, quickly prepare the topping.
In a pan, heat the butter, sugar, almonds and milk.
Stir and let the butter melt.
After the butter is melted, let it boil over medium heat for 3 minutes.
After 3 minutes, remove.
5. Meanwhile, after the 12 minutes of baking, remove the pie from the oven and quickly cover it with the almond mixture to prevent it from cooling and solidifying.
It's not necessary to spread the almonds too rigorously, because in the oven, the sugar will melt and spread evenly.
6. Place the pie back in the oven and increase the temperature to 190ºC.
Let it brown about 7 minutes until the almonds are toasted to taste.
After the pie is blond, remove it and let it cool.
When cool, run a knife around the pie and unmold.
And it's ready to serve.