Monday, July 2, 2012

Toasted almond ice cream

Waiting for the final of the European soccer Cup, which we happily won eventually (¡viva España!), I made a tosted almond ice cream from a Cuisinart recipe:
http://www.cuisinart.com/recipes/desserts/159.html
Following the instructions of the recipe. I toasted 2/3 cups of slivered almonds in a pan with 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter and 3/4 teaspoon of sea salt. After drying it in paper towels I set the browned almonds in the refrigerator. Then I mixed in a big bowl with a hand mixer 2/3 cup of white sugar with half a cup of skimmed milk and another 1/2 cup of half and half (you can just use 1 cup of whole milk, which I lacked at the time). Then I added 2 cups of heavy whipping cream, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of almond extract and kept mixing. I refrigerated the mixture for a couple of hours in a tightly closed plastic container and finally I put it in the ice cream maker for 25 minutes, pouring the almonds during the last 5 minutes.
I put the finished ice cream for another 30 minutes in the freezer in a tightly closed plastic container and took it out 10 minutes before serving. The result is spectacular with sweet and salty flavours and full of the woody-bitter heart and core of the almond and refreshing creamy. A delicacy...


No comments:

Post a Comment