Friday, August 9, 2019

Pesto Quiche with Eggplant and Ham

I always wanted to try and cook a French quiche, so when I found this recipe on the Spanish public TV website I decided to go ahead:
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/cocina-con-sergio/cocina-sergio-quiche-berenjenas-pesto/2830278/
Sergio Fernández is one of my favorite cooks, he does simple recipes and he is so nice and clear, that I choose him often as the source of inspiration for a lot of my cooking.
So yesterday for early dinnerI got started: I chopped 2 small white onions and started frying them on a pan with Spanish extra virgin olive oil, ading some salt. After a while I added 85 grams of chopped Spanish serrano ham and a spoonful of sugar to caramelize the mixture and compensate the saltiness. I also chopped 2 small eggplants and set them aside in a bowl with salted water to make them smoother; later I rinsed them and added them to the pan. I an glass bowl I whisked 4 eggs, salt, pepper and a big glass of heavy whipping cream, and poured the mixture on the pan. In a separate buttered tin foil container I put 2 sheets of pastry dough and poured the whole contents of the pan in it, and right away I baked it in the oven previously heated to 350 degrees Farenheit (about 180 Celsius approximately) for 45 minutes. When it started to look golden I took it out to serve sprinkled with Central Market pesto sauce. It was so delicious that we had to eat second servings.
Overall it was a successful, yummy quiche dish, delicately crunchy, moist, with balanced sweetness-saltiness. I will definitely try something similar again, since it has been a good addition to my recipe list :)




No comments:

Post a Comment