Monday, August 19, 2019

Rhum and Raisins Ice Cream

Last week I felt nostalgic for some ice cream flavors of the 80s, when I got to recall in a Proustian moment the delicious rhum and raisins ice cream I used to enjoy long ago. After a careful research of suitable recipes online I chose this solid one:
https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Classic-Rum-Raisin-Ice-Cream/
This is how I prepared it: in a measure bowl I put 1 cup of raisins and I poured 1 cup of Nicaraguan dark rhum Flor de Caña, and left them covered to soak overnight and absorb all the liqueur.
The next morning in a big bowl I whisked together 3/4 of sugar and 6 egg yolks; then added 2 cups of whole milk and stirred it and boiled the mix in a saucepan for 10 minutes. I strained the mix, added the raisins previously strained, 2 tablespoons of the remaining rhum, 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract. I refrigerated the mix for 2 hours and then I put it all rolling in the ice cream maker for 30 minutes until it thickened a little. And then I refrigerated it for 4 hours in the freezer this time. The result was nothing short of spectacular. At first I was not sure if it was thick enough, but the perfect texture had been achieved: the following days, by the effect of the alcohol over the dairy mixture it did not need to thaw any time I would take it out of the fridge to serve because if had the ideal thickness and you could start savoring the heavenly cream immediately with your silver spoon after adding a couple of crumbled Spanish Gullón Digestive cookies from Central Market. Thanks  saveur.com for helping me bring back a yummy food from the paradise lost of decades past. Et voilà:





No comments:

Post a Comment