Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ham and Cheddar crepes with onion white sauce

Tonight for dinner I had a quite remarkable success when I cooked for me and my dear wife this easy dish whose recipe I found on a podcast from the Spanish National Radio, at the Comer y cantar (Eating and singing) programme:
http://www.rtve.es/resources/TE_SCOMCA/mp3/1/9/1297514488191.mp3
Sergio Fernรกndez is a great Spanish chef and recommends always very simple, easy to make dishes for beginners like me who don't have a perfect command of all techniques and skills.
This is how I made it following his steps:
I beat 6 eggs with salt, pepper and basil (I added parsley and oregano as well) until frothy. I poured the mix equally in 4 bowls. Then I started making (until bubbly) in a flat non stickable pan the 4 omelettes or crepes, 1 by 1 pouring each of the bowls mixes, with practically no olive oil, only in one I put a drop of it. I set apart 2 crepes (fried both sides) in each plate (it's for 2 eaters or even 4). I microwaved 4 slices of extra-sharp Cheddar cheese (from Kroger) and put them inside the 4 omelettes with a slice of brown sugar baked ham. I couldn't roll them like in the recipe but they were nice crepes or pancakes. For the bechamel sauce I poached a chopped onion with a little bit of butter, salt, pepper and then I added 2 glasses of milk. When it started boiling I stopped the fire (vitroceramic) and put all the content in a mixer. This bechamel sauce I poured carefully on top of the crepes. The result: simply irresistibly delicious.

I forgot to make the accompanying simple colored salad as a starter but I will do it next time and I will sautee too the basil in olive oil to adorn, making it crispy and crunchy after frying. You can always improve from experience but nothing matches the emotion of the first time you cook something for your chubby tummy and your beloved relatives and friends, it's really like a first kiss on a first date.
Another small step in the pursuit of yummy food ...

No comments:

Post a Comment