Friday, February 25, 2011

Spinach and cottage cheese pie

Last night for dinner I made this kind of quiche which turned out pretty good. Following the recipe of my friend Sergio Ferna'ndez (http://www.rtve.es/resources/TE_SCOMCA/mp3/6/6/1298028695966.mp3) first I greased very well a cast iron pan with butter to place a crust pie mold. Once put inside the oven I heated it to about 200 degrees celsius (390 degrees Fahrenheit) for just 5 minutes. Then I boiled a package of spinach and drained it, lightly fried some leeks, onion and then added the spinach to fry them a little more. Out of the fire I added 2 glasses of heavy whipping cream, salt and pepper, 4 beaten eggs, and put the mix in a blender, blended all the ingredientes and added to blend it a little more about 150 grams of cottage cheese (also called curd cheese). At the bottom of the pie I set some pieces of ham, which I couldn't find enough at the supermarket. Then I filled the pie with the mix and put it in the over for 30 minutes at 170 degrees celsius (about 335 degrees Fahrenheit). After it grew like a souffle, it was done, but for the presentation I made an ali-oli mayonnaise I made really quick blending a clove of garlic, salt, Sherry vinegar (from Jerez of course), an egg, and kept adding Spanish olive oil. The result was magnificent, maybe I exaggerate a little bit, but we liked it very much, the crust was baked to perfection, the mixture of spinach and curd cheese quite balanced and tasty and the ali-oli a little strong but yummy nonetheless. The filling of the pie maybe I made too much of it when I added too much spinach: now I can make at least one more pie with the other rolled crust I have at the refrigerator. The presentation is like a little pizza slice:
It's a good dish I believe for this I want to think is the beginning of the end of winter. The next time I will try to find more cured ham. I wish I were in Spain so I could get some sublime jamón ibérico de Jabugo, the Stradivarius of hams, which you can even hold like a violin when you cut and slice it ; ) It's the best nuanced simphony of flavours!

No comments:

Post a Comment