Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Madeleines (French magdalenas/muffins)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/womans-hour/cooktheperfect/perfect/madeleines/

Another evening I searched for lost things in my memory and made the classic madeleines, roughly following the aforementioned BBC website.
I fried in a pan on low heat 2 oz (60 grams=4 tablespoons) of lightly salted butter. Then I whisked in a large bowl 1 egg, 1/4 cup sugar, and added to keep mixing 1/4 cup flour (sifted), 1/4 cup ground almonds (sifted too) and 1 lemon zested. When it was super well mixed I added and whisked the nutted butter which smelled wonderfully aromatic. I let the mixture sit for an hour and then filled the paper molds with it and put it in the oven for about 14 minutes at about 375 Fahrenheit (about 190 Celsius).
I felt like Proust tasting a merienda which was not at all uncouth nor devoid of delicacy, but a dainty treat whose impression was bound to remain associated with the magdalenas of my childhood with hot Cola-Cao, manzanilla or yerbaluisa and the company of my grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment