Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pisto manchego (grilled ratatouille)

Last Saturday was Saint Francis Xavier, my Saint's day, so I got a cook book as a present. It's Spain, a culinary road trip, by Mario Batali with Gwyneth Paltrow. So, to celebrate I made the first recipe of the book: the pisto manchego, which is a sort of grilled ratatouille. I put half the ingredients and then I realized I could have even reduced them even more since I had leftovers for some days after, it was so yummy anyway. I put 2 ripe plum tomatoes, half a medium to large eggplant, 2 red bell peppers and a red onion and rubbed them with 2 tablespoons of olive oil inside a baking tray. I roasted them in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 45 minutes. I cooled them off outside, removed the skin as much as I could from the tomatoes and peeled the onions, scooped out the flesh of the eggplant and roughly chopped the vegetables, and finally chopped them a little bit more in a blender with 1/4 cup of Spanish olive oil (Goya brand from Seville). I seasoned the dish on the plates with salt and pepper and served it on toasted bread. It's a little different from the pisto gallego or andaluz that I usually make, but gorgeous and flavourful anyway.
Maybe next time I'll have a glass of red wine from La Mancha to go with it to make it perfect.







¡Buen provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment