Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Andalusian lentil soup

http://www.hogarutil.com/cocina/recetas/legumbres/201006/lentejas-3911.html
This recipe from Bruno Oteiza turned out pretty good, a satisfying South of Spain lentil soup in the fashion my grandmother Antonia and my mother Matilde would prepare it.
I washed the lentils in a big colander and put them in a stewpot with plenty of water, a pinch of salt and a trickle of olive oil, then I added a green bell pepper, a carrot and an onion, the three of them cut in two. I added 4 peeled cloves of garlic, 3 bay leaves, some saffron theads, 6 pinches of cumin powder and 4 pieces of chopped and peeled spicy chorizo. I cooked it for about 25 minutes. I peeled a potato, diced it and added to the pot, I poured 4 spoons of Sherry wine (using amontillado since I didn't have fino). I stirred it all very well and cooked it over a low heat for about 40 minutes. I diced 2 slices of bread and fried them in a pan with olive oil. I served the lentils in a plate with the croutons on top sprinkled with a trickle of olive oil and dry parsley.
Perfect for lunch, it's a healthy and savoury dish from my homeland, the heart of flamenco. I feel like taking a siesta.

No comments:

Post a Comment