Friday, July 1, 2011

Hazelnut ice cream

Upping the ante on the ice cream making I made this fabulous hazelnut ice cream with a recipe I found from excellent chef Emeril Lagasse:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/hazelnut-ice-cream-recipe/index.html
On parchment paper I set 1 and a 1/2 cups of hazelnuts and roasted in a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 minutes. I let them cool off and chopped them roughly. In a saucepan I put 4 cups of half-and-half and 1 cup of granulated sugar. I put it on medium heat and brought it to a simmer. In a separate bowl I whisked 6 egg yolks and incorporated them into the saucepan mix, simmering for 4 more minutes. The mixture I pured in a glass bowl which I covered with a plastic wrap and set it in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Then, out it went, I added the chopped hazelnuts and poured the whole thing in the ice cream maker for 25 minutes. Then to the refrigerator again for another 3 hours. The result is amazing, really rich and nutty. The next time I will chop the hazelnuts even more roughly for a better texture. I think we're raising the bar here but we better take a little break from this ice cream diet if we want to avoid getting a little more chubby.
Served with a couple of whole hazelnuts it even looked beautiful. It tastes like eating a subtly sweet dark wood milky bar ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment