Friday, July 1, 2011

Spinach with garbanzo beans

This is an old traditional recipe by my grandmother Frasquita. It is very common in tapas bars in Sevilla. With a similar recipe I won last year the first prize of the tapas contest of the Association of Spanish in Michigan.
I boiled 2 packages of frozen spinach. I opened a can of garbanzo beans, also known as chick peas I believe, and rinsed them with tap water. I set apart just half of it. Then in a pan with olive oil I fried 8 cloves of peeled and chopped garlic, set them in a bowl, then I fried 5 bits of bread and set them in the same bowl and crushed them all, adding later, right before pouring it in the end, a little bit of apple vinegar and a teaspoon of cumin. I lowered a little the temperature in the pan, poured a teaspoon of pepper powder de la Vera and poured the garbanzo beans and the spinach immediately, stirring it for some minutes. Then I poured the mixture of garlic, bread, with the vinegar and cumin just added, and some salt. I stirred it for some minutes, added half a glass of water and kept simmering it for 4 minutes. And it was done, Ready to serve with a fried egg on the side.
Yummy and simple, a delicacy filling and nuanced: very balanced.

1 comment:

  1. Other references:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4QB1vbbMLU

    ReplyDelete