Thursday, July 21, 2011

Lavender ice cream

What a great find! I had accumulated some spices over the last year and among them these packages of French lavender I decided to use. After some research I found a honey lavender recipe by Martha Stwart and a lemon lavender by Emeryl Lagasse, and I chose the latter with excellent results:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/fresh-lemon-and-lavender-ice-cream-recipe/index.html
Following which I proceeded to boil in a saucepan the zest of a lemon and an orange, half a cup of fresh lavender (=2 packages), 2 cups of whole milk and 2 cups of heavy milk, then I let it steep for 20 minutes and strained it. I whisked in a bowl 8 egg yolks and 3/4 of granulated sugar, whisking 1 cup of the hot cream in it, and then mixed it quite well. Slowly I started adding the egg mixture into the hot cream mixture, cooking for 4 minutes. I removed it from the heat and let it cool in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Then I put it in the ice cream maker for 25 minutes and served it with blueberries, cherries and a touch of honey.
A complex and delicious taste, which I found a little bit too tart, bitter or floral at first, but with the passing of the hours and days turned into such an experience as biting purple clouds announcing summer storm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment