Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pecorino pasta and cream pies

Monday evening I cooked a very simple dish: spaghetti with Pecorino cheese and red cabbage, a recipe I took from one of my favorite easy cooking sites for beginners:
http://www.tf1.fr/petits-plats-en-equilibre/recettes/spaghetti-au-pecorino-et-trevise-5539340.html
In general terms I boiled the spaghettis in a large pot, cut half red cabbage in half and fried one quarter with 2 sliced cloves of garlic in olive oil and chopped the other quarter. In a large bowl I mixed the spaghetti, the fried cabbbage and garlic, sea salt (very little since this cheese is a little salty) and pepper, and shaved Pecorino Romano cheese. And that's it: ready to serve.
It turned out quite tasty, with a little bit of Italian and French touch, crunchy in texture and colourful in flavour.

For dessert, while listening to Fado music on the background from rtp.pt, I made Portuguese cream pies or "pasteis de nata" with the help of the recipe from a Portuguese cooking channel with videos in youtube, Saborintenso:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n529ZWCjYpI
Basically I buttered the molds, set the crust on them (don't put too much). Then I boiled half a liter of whole milk with a cinnamon stick and a lemon peel. I added a little of the milk mixed with 60 grams of flour. I boiled two cups of sugar in half a cup of water and added to the milk. Then I drained it all with a strainer and added 7 yolks, mixing it all very well. I filled the molds withe the mixture and set them in the oven at 480 degrees Fahrenheit for about 17 minutes. You can serve the pies cold from the refrigerator or just made and warm from the oven with a little sprinkled powder cinnamon:

It's a sweet and yummy dessert: when you eat it with your eyes closed you can taste the melancholic streets of Lisbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment