Friday, March 18, 2011

Rusadilla

Time for a classic of Spanish tapas bars: the ensaladilla rusa (literally Russian potato salad) is a kind of potato salad with mayonnaise we make in Spain. Mishé mixed the words and now we call it at home the "rusadilla": it's funny. Apart from my mom's, which is delicious, my favorite was the one they used to serve at the bar La Bohemia in El Pedroso, a village in the province os Seville (Spain). Now the bar is gone, but not the remembrances of the good cooking and flavours. This time I roughly used a recipe I got from this website:
http://www.hogarutil.com/Cocina/Buscador/Ensaladilla+rusa
First I boiled in a pot of water a couple of potatoes and 4 peeled carrots for 25 minutes at high and then low flame. Then I added 2 eggs and a spoonfuls of sea salt and boiled for 10 more minutes. In a bowl with water I microwaved some green peas for a couple of minutes. Then I took a big bowl and laid there the peeled potatoes and carrots well chopped and added sea salt, the green peas, crushed tuna in olive (two small cans), mixing it al up with 20 piquillo pepper stuffed olives from Seville also sliced. I mixed it all up again with half a bottle of Hellmans mayonnaise. The result is a little bit salty but nonetheless quite delicious:
It's also great to serve it as a side dish of a juicy steak for example, accompanied by a really cold beer. I wonder what the Russians would think about it ; )

1 comment:

  1. I had the honour of tasting the wonderful La Bohemia's Ensaladilla, and it's definitely one of the best I've ever tried.

    ReplyDelete